Pages

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Pokemon Scene That Admitted 700 Children To Hospital


I suddenly remembered this. Close to 10 years ago, I was all crazy over the pokemon TV shows. Then one day, there came news that there was an episode shown in Japan, featuring Porygon, that caused 700 children there to experience seizures. This prompted Singapore to ban that episode and I never got to see Porygon!!!

Back then in 2001, there was no YouTube or any widely used video streaming sites to find that episode. And I only had ADSL internet connection, making it difficult to stream high quality videos even if I could find it. Well anyway, with the wonders of YouTube. I managed to find that clip.. =)

Turns out, it is only a short scene in the movie, where Team Rocket launches some missiles at Porygon and Pikachu came out and thundershocked them. For some reason, the artists decided to flash red and blue screens rapidly for that particular thundershock effect. It only lasted about 5 seconds, but it still hurts the eyes.

I've included the clip below should you wish to view the flashing screens. As far as I know, this video is recorded on a lower frame rate, so the flashing effect is actually less intense. The flashes from the original episode was at 12 times per second. So I doubt you'd get a seizure by watching the clip below, though you may feel uncomfortable. But if you really want to, watch in full screen, high quality and bring your eyes closer to the screen. =P

**The flashing scene begins at the 15 seconds mark.**



If you would like to read more, here's some kids science website comments on it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comments here! ^.^