Pages

Sunday, August 24, 2008

SAFRA Army Half Marathon (Before)


The army half marathon. Something that happens annually in August. Last year, it occurred when I was on course, therefore I did not run, but helped out in the water point instead. This year, I couldn't escape the marathon. My OC, a running enthusiast in his late 40s, pushed me to go. He told me to go for the 10km run, out of the remaining available 21km and 6km runs. I started training for the 10km run, reaching my max of running 8km nonstop. Last week, I was quite prepared for the 10km. However, my enthusiasm was immediately smashed into demoralisation when I received my number tag just 4 days before the event (as shown below). Something was not right..
































As you can see, I totally got shocked by the distance that I was supposed to run. It's more than double that of what I've trained for.. -.- Boy was I in for a nasty little surprise. One thing I did not understand is how I managed to enter the 21km run. It's common practice in army to train progressively. And to enter the 21km run, I would have needed to run at least 16km nonstop, which I didn't. So I'm still perplexed about this. But I'll just give it my best shot at the run. Wish me luck.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Write your comments here! ^.^